Thursday, February 14, 2013

PacSun - Hipster or Skater Store?


Hipster or Skater Store?

PacSun is a pretty cool store and for a while it was located right next to Zumiez (another skate store) at my local mall. PacSun was there first, though. Currently, PacSun has shut down operations for the moment in order to move locations. I assume they'll probably be moving to an area downstairs where there's more space and more chances that people will shop at PacSun rather than Zumiez. PacSun started off as a skate shop in California, and I'm sure it specialized in surfing attire as well. Nowadays PacSun is more about California lifestyle and offers clothes that you'd find in a prep store like American Eagle or Aeropostale. The store does stay true to the skate brands, such as DC, Diamond, Girl, and Vans, but it seems that PacSun wants to go for a more preppy, hipster look these days rather than what a typical skateboarder or surfer would wear. Their various type of clothes consist of a limited number of shoes, jeans, shorts, T-shirts, tank tops, shirts, hoodies, hats, and accessories. Your PacSun might also include a small section where they display skateboards, skateboard trunks, skateboard wheels, and helmets. I find PacSun to be more of a look-around store rather than a go-in-and-buy store because their selection is not as vast as I would expect it to be. If I want to get a fresh pair of DCs, Adidas, or Jordans, then I'm most likely going to head over to Foot Locker. If I want a fresh DC hat, I'm going to go over to Lids. As for the clothes, I probably would rather go on Amazon.com and purchase the article of clothing for 50% less than what PacSun wants for it. PacSun seems to be ranging their clothing's colors from bright and vibrant to an above average color of grey. I can just see some hipster shopping around for an O'Neill Montera Short Sleeve Woven Shirt and nut-hugging skinny Khaki jeans to accompany his hipstah glasses. PacSun use to not be about that life but I guess you'll do anything to get more customers, even though the Internet is making a killing off of everything these days. PacSun use to strictly profit off of cool-graphic tees, expressive shorts and jeans, and sweet ass hats. RIP old PacSun... you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment